Subject: bug#7716: 23.2.91; Pretest Windows binary doesn't support PNG images

From: David De La Harpe Golden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 02:56:09 +0000

On 24/12/10 00:40, Drew Adams wrote:

> You mean a folder named `nt'?
> I don't see one.  And search doesn't find one.
>
> This is true of each of the Emacs-24's I have downloaded, both those you post
> each week and the two pretests.  It is also true of the Emacs 23 releases.
>
> What am I missing?
>
>

I  don't see a folder named nt or the nt/INSTALL file in either
http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-20101220-bin-i386.zip
or
http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-20101220-barebin-i386.zip

However, I do see a README.W32, which is (I presume) a copy of 
nt/README.W32 in the source tree.

But nt/INSTALL is AFAICS instructions on building and installing w32 
emacs from source anyway [1], README.W32 is the instructions on 
installing the binary distribution (the .zip) [2], and README.W32 does 
discuss image library dependencies. [3]

So I sorta doubt that nt/INSTALL belongs in the .zip.

There is also an nt/README in the source tree with different information 
to nt/INSTALL and nt/README.W32, it documents the nt directory, and may 
not belong in the .zip [4]

[1] nt/INSTALL in source tree
"""
Here are the concise instructions for configuring and building the
native Windows binary of Emacs,
"""

[2] nt/README.W32 in source tree, README.W32 in the .zip.
"""
This README file describes how to set up and run a precompiled
version of GNU Emacs for Windows.
"""

[3] nt/README.W32 in source tree, README.W32 in the .zip.
"""
Emacs can also support some other image formats with appropriate
libraries.  These libraries are all available as part of GTK, or from
gnuwin32.sourceforge.net.  Emacs will find them if the directory they
are installed in is on the PATH.
"""

[4] nt/README in source tree
"""
This directory contains support for compiling and running GNU Emacs on
Windows NT, Windows 95, and their successors.
""""