Subject: Re: bug#7716: 23.2.91; Pretest Windows binary doesn't support PNG images

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:12:54 +0200

> Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 07:57:28 +0800
> From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
> Cc: 
> 
> On 25/12/2010 20:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > There's only one security issue with version 1.2.37, the latest one
> > available from GnuWin32, and that issue is only relevant to web
> > browsers.
> >    
> 
> It might be worth checking what version is distributed with GTK for 
> Windows. It is likely to be more up to date than GnuWin32.

According to http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html, they currently
provide 1.4.3.  But I fail to see how this resolves the problem at
hand, given the binary incompatibilities between 1.2.x and 1.4.x.  Are
you suggesting that we tell all Windows users to get libpng only from
the GTK site?  What about all those who already have 1.2.x installed
and will not even look into README.W32 when they install a newer
binary?