Subject: [bug#77153] [PATCH 1/3] doc: cookbook: Fix terminology for libvirt virtual network switches.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2025 17:17:10 +0900

Hi,

45mg <[email-masked]> writes:

> * doc/guix-cookbook.texi (Virtual Machines): [Routed network for
> libvirt]: Replace the term 'virtual bridge' with 'virtual network
> switch'.  This is the term used by the libvirt Wiki to refer to the
> combined setup of a 'virtual bridge' network interface, dnsmasq instance
> bound to it, and firewall rules associated with it.

I'm not sure 'switch' is clearer than 'bridge' in the context of
libvirt; and I doubt a wiki has much authority on the topic.  I find the
'bridge' terminology most common on Linux, and it matches to options
documented in libvirt-related tools such as `man virt-install` from the
virt-manager package:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
       bridge=BRIDGE
              Connect to a bridge device in the host called BRIDGE.  Use  this
              option  if the host has static networking config & the guest re‐
              quires full outbound and inbound connectivity to/from  the  LAN.
              Also use this if live migration will be used with this guest.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So I'm not convinced of the value of the proposed change.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim