Subject: Re: 30.1; package--description-file handles some packages wrong

From: Lin Jian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2025 11:50:42 +0800

Lin Jian <[email-masked]> writes:

> I also notice that the version part of the regex can be improved because
> it does not take `version-regexp-alist' into consideration.  But that is
> out of the scope of this bug.

I tested the above patch with all elisp packages from (Non)GNU(-devel)
ELPA and MELPA.  All 7 packages from my initial post are fixed.  At the
same time, I find only one package vm[0] is "broken" by my patch.

Without my patch, the result is right.
(package--description-file "vm-8.3.0snapshot0.20250208.60553")
  ⇒ "vm-pkg.el"

With my patch, the result is wrong.
(package--description-file "vm-8.3.0snapshot0.20250208.60553")
  ⇒ "vm-8.3.0snapshot0.20250208.60553-pkg.el"

A quick fix is to add snapshot to the regex version part.

A proper fix is to make the regex version part know
`version-regexp-alist'.

[0]: https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu-devel/vm.html