Subject: Re: bug#77140: [PATCH] Strip text properties on recentf entries

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2025 16:13:44 +0100

>>>>> On Fri, 21 Mar 2025 17:06:53 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:

    >> From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
    >> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2025 10:02:56 -0400
    >> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
    >> 
    >> Thanks, but please make the lines in the log message shorter (see
    >> CONTRIBUTE for guidance).  This includes both the heading and the rest
    >> of the log message.
    >> 
    >> This commit log entry summary is 64 chars (less than the 79 max target) and the rest of the log is filled to 72
    >> (.dir-locals.el is in effect), so I'm missing what you are suggesting.

    Eli> The log message is indented with a TAB when we generate the ChangeLog
    Eli> file from the Git log, so the 72-character lines will be 81, more than
    Eli> we'd like to see in ChangeLog.  CONTRIBUTE says "Lines in ChangeLog
    Eli> entries should preferably be not longer than 63 characters" for that
    Eli> reason.  Please try not to exceed this limit, unless you really must
    Eli> (like if you need to quote a long URL there).

If you use `log-edit-mode' to write your commit entries, you get this
for free. From .dir-locals.el:

 (log-edit-mode . ((log-edit-font-lock-gnu-style . t)
                   (log-edit-setup-add-author . t)
		   (vc-git-log-edit-summary-target-len . 50)
                   (fill-column . 64)))

Robert
--