Subject: bug#77140: [PATCH] Strip text properties on recentf entries

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2025 20:09:15 -0700

Ship Mints <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2025 at 12:57 PM Ship Mints <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Text properties are added by common completion frameworks, and serve no
>> purpose when stored in 'recentf-save-file', waste space, and slow loading
>> the file.
>>
>> I did not add this to NEWS as I consider this non-user visible.  Happy to
>> add this if the maintainers disagree.
>>
>> I've been running recentf with 'substring-no-properties' for ages and
>> others should benefit, by default.
>>
>> -Stephane
>>
>
> savehist already does this implicitly.  Perhaps it shouldn't even be
> optional as I made it (it was an easy change).

I think we should do this unconditionally, as the point here is to
locate the file and nothing else.

For the record, could you also provide details on which completion
frameworks that add text properties?  Do text properties cause any other
issues than wasted space?  It's enough to mention these detail here in
the bug report, I think, no need to add it to the commit message.

No need for NEWS here, I agree.