Subject: bug#7714: 23.2; Toolbar causes freeze

From: Josh Cogliati <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:43:52 -0700

In emacs, at random times, the toolbar will get input focus (or 
something like that)
Basically, at that point, the only thing that the keyboard can do is the 
arrow keys allow different toolbar buttons to be highlighted.  The mouse 
is unresponsive.

The only way I have found to get out of this semi-locked up mode is to 
click the mouse on the menubar.  Then emacs becomes responsive to 
keyboard input again.

I have not found a reliable way to replicate this, but it occurs about 2 
times an hour when I am programming and have multiple Emacs frames open.

Thank you.

--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.4)
  of 2010-07-08 on x86-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.10903000
configured using `configure  '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 
'--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' 
'--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' 
'--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' 
'--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib64' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' 
'--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' 
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus' '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' 
'--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff' '--with-xft' '--with-xpm' 
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 
'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g 
-pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector 
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -fno-optimize-sibling-calls''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   delete-selection-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   pc-selection-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/focus-init.el 
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/haskell-mode-init.el 
(source)...
Loading haskell-site-file...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/haskell-mode-init.el 
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/maxima-modes.el 
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/php-mode-init.el 
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpm-spec-mode-init.el 
(source)...done
Loading pc-select...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/maxima-modes hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/maxima/site_start.d/maxima-modes

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr message idna sendmail regexp-opt
ecomplete rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums
mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr
gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils
emacsbug delsel paren pc-select cus-start cus-load generic tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Joshua Cogliati
Reactor Physics Analysis&  Design
Idaho National Laboratory
Phone: 208-526-6149 Fax: 208-526-0528