Subject: bug#77139: closed (Re: bug#77139: 30.1; M-x describe-input-method help buffer has modified flag set)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2025 20:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#77139: 30.1; M-x describe-input-method help buffer has modified flag set

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
77139: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=77139
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#77139: 30.1; M-x describe-input-method help buffer has modified flag set
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2025 22:36:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2025 12:40:48 -0400
> 
> The help buffer created by M-x describe-input-method has its modified
> flag set.
> 
> Recipe:
> 
> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. M-x describe-input-method RET japanese RET
> 3. The mode line shows the buffer is modified
> 
> I am not sure if this is a bug, but it stood out to me as inconsistent
> with similar help buffers (or maybe with special-mode buffers more
> generally?) I have seen, which IME are read-only and have the modified
> flag unset.

Thanks, should be fixed now.

Subject: 30.1; M-x describe-input-method help buffer has modified flag set
From: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2025 12:40:48 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi folks,

The help buffer created by M-x describe-input-method has its modified
flag set.

Recipe:

1. emacs -Q
2. M-x describe-input-method RET japanese RET
3. The mode line shows the buffer is modified

I am not sure if this is a bug, but it stood out to me as inconsistent
with similar help buffers (or maybe with special-mode buffers more
generally?) I have seen, which IME are read-only and have the modified
flag unset.

If this is expected behavior, sorry for the noise.

Cheers.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
appkit-2113.65 Version 12.7.6 (Build 21H1320)) of 2025-02-24 built on
armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2575
System Description:  macOS 15.4

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
-DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
cl-extra help-fns radix-tree japan-util kkc ja-dic-utl quail help-mode
cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 56777 10594) (symbols 48 5739 0) (strings 32 15585 2085)
(string-bytes 1 390457) (vectors 16 11202)
(vector-slots 8 160271 5895) (floats 8 24 4) (intervals 56 1599 435)
(buffers 992 13))