Subject: 31.0.50; package.el: Built-in packages marked as upgradable when versions ≤ bundled version

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2025 11:43:06 -0400

Dear Emacs maintainers,

I've encountered an issue in `package.el` where built-in packages are
marked as upgradable even when the repository version is <= the built-in
version.  This occurs because the version comparison logic prioritizes
repository versions over built-in ones.

### Steps to reproduce:
1. Set package-archive-priorities to '(("gnu" . 5) ("nongnu" . 4)).
2. Set package-install-upgrade-built-in to t.
3. Run `M-x list-packages` and observe the package status.

### Current behavior:
Built-in packages are marked as upgradable even when the repository
version is <= the built-in version.

### Expected behavior:
Built-in packages should only be marked as upgradable if the repository
version is newer.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2025-03-16 built on fedora
Repository revision: eab14d68b2e72b9a6b8b0cc67c9667c2bfbed4f5
Repository branch: master
System Description: Fedora Linux 41 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-pgtk --with-tree-sitter
 --with-mailutils --with-sound=yes --with-pdumper=yes
 --with-dumping=pdumper --with-file-notification=yes --with-gnutls'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run
bytecomp byte-compile comp-common rx emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap
yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search
time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen
pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 66717 12779) (symbols 48 6838 0) (strings 32 17183 2502)
 (string-bytes 1 531430) (vectors 16 10577)
 (vector-slots 8 148392 3429) (floats 8 22 13) (intervals 56 249 0)
 (buffers 992 11))