Subject: bug#77122: [PATCH] project--find-in-directory resolves symlinks

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2025 05:02:06 +0200

On 25/03/2025 12:54, Ship Mints wrote:

> Ochen funny. I'll submit a separate patch for that one day (sarcasm 
> doesn't work in email, sorry).

I was not making a joke. Wouldn't it be easier, for your purposes, if 
symlinks were followed right away?

> In the meantime, I maintain my view that project.el needs to report 
> uniform project names and roots for identical projects approached from 
> different places, even if optional.
> 
> I just took a look at projectile.el, which I'd never looked at before 
> because I prefer using/improving core features.  It has a longer user 
> history to see what they've experienced (and it looks like some of 
> project.el's approach is copied almost verbatim e.g., the implementation 
> of project-name).  projectile seems to both have users that want symlink 
> chasing and those that don't (looks like ClearCase users--but out of 
> necessity not desire?).

Does it have that decision configurable as well? Could you point to the 
user option, or whatever else it has for that purpose?