Subject: bug#77111: closed (Close)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2025 19:28:02 +0000

Your bug report

#77111: mate-applets are not being installed correctly.

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
77111: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=77111
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Close
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2025 21:26:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Closing here, since this is now
   https://codeberg.org/guix/guix/issues/1616

Andreas

Subject: mate-applets are not being installed correctly.
From: [email-masked]
To: Bug Guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2025 03:15:44 +0100 (CET)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The package is pulled when you enable mate-desktop-service-type, installing it with guix install makes no difference, they aren't shown on the panel "add to panel" menu. No applets like weather, coundown, etc appear on the list.
I discovered this while developing a fork of mintmenu for MATE inside guix because I'm interested in contributing with a solution to https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2025-02/msg00046.html

But using both "mintmenu" and "mintdesktop" since their installation  involves lots but simple (substitute*) calls to fix python shebangs / rename required python scripts (both projects lack a build system outside dpkg buildpackage.  Guix already supports libxapp and it's python bindings. I noticed this issue while testing the package. 

Consulting ~/.guix-profile/share/mate-panel/applets/ there are files installed:
org.mate.applets.AccessxStatusApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.BattstatApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.CharpickerApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.CommandApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.CPUFreqApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.DriveMountApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.GeyesApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.MateWeatherApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.MintMenuApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.MultiLoadApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.NetspeedApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.StickyNotesApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.TimerApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.applets.TrashApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.panel.ClockApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.panel.FishApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.panel.MintMenuApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.panel.NotificationAreaApplet.mate-panel-applet
org.mate.panel.Wncklet.mate-panel-applet
org.x.MateXAppStatusApplet.mate-panel-applet

Many of those applets are not available to use. 

I was able to do a clean GUIX installation on a virt-manager and the applets are missing too.

Is this an installation issue or an actual bug in GUIX. I'm interested in helping to maintain more MATE software on GUIX, this desktop is also used in Trisquel and coming from there I would like to have the same applets available in the panel.

-- 
 Urutaú Limited - Apoyando al software libre desde Latinoamérica