Subject: Re: [bug#77090] Patch to add linux-libre mnt/reform variant

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2025 16:21:28 -0700

On 2025-03-18, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2025-03-18, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
>> As far as I understand, HDMI on Orange Pi 5 Plus would require the
>> blob
>> <https://web.git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/rockchip/dptx.bin>.
>> It seems likely that the MNT Reform RK3588 uses the CPU’s HDMI for
>> external displays as well, maybe, don’t know.
>
> It does not mention it on the modularity page listed above (only the DDR
> issues), so what I need to do is boot it and try out HDMI output with
> linux-libre and not firmware installed and see... :)

Confirmed that at least basic HDMI output on the MNT/Reform rk3588 works
without binary blobs; it shows on both screens at boot and sway detects
the 2nd display and sets it up without me having to do anything.

Maybe there is some optional functionality (DRM anti-features?) that is
missing without the blob?

live well,
  vagrant