Subject: Re: Filesystems not unmounted on reboot

From: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2025 10:13:07 +0200

Hi,

recently I switched from power-profiles-daemon to tlp. I am experiencing
this issue from time to time! I don't know the exact trigger nor am able
to 'reproduce' it, it happens just sometimes.
I wasn't experiencing this issue before.

This seems to me that tlp could be (one of the) trigger(s) of this bug, somehow.

I checked tlp's systemd service and it seems to be working the same way
the shepherd one does, so I don't really get why that would happen.

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Felix Lechner <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 01 2025, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>
>>> I believe I’m still experiencing it on my laptop
>>
>> Unmounting properly is great, but would it also make sense to add a call
>> to sync(2) after a reconfigure since some people reboot quickly?
>
> The ‘root-file-system’ service calls ‘sync’ when shutting down.

Why then are people ending up with corrupt store, I don't really get it.
Is sync really doing full sync to the disk? Shepherd doesn't shutdown
the system until the service stops, successfully or not, right? So it
should be called on every shutdown/reboot.

Regards,
Rutherther