Subject: Filesystems not unmounted on reboot

From: Ian Eure <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 14:09:09 -0700

Starting recently (last 2-3 weeks), my Guix System machines have
failed to unmount filesystems when restarted.  ex. inside an Emacs
EXWM X11 session, running `sudo reboot' in a shell causes the 
system
to perform a lengthy fsck on next boot, saying "recovering 
journal."

Others on IRC have noticed this as well.  Some think it’s 
correlated
to running `sudo guix system reconfigure', but I observe it 
whether
I’ve reconfigured or not.

I’m using LUKS1 whole-disk encryption.

Here’s the `guix system describe' output from a laptop (ThinkPad 
X280)
which is exhibiting the problem:

   Generation 46	Mar 17 2025 07:22:11	(current)
     file name: /var/guix/profiles/system-46-link
     canonical file name:
     /gnu/store/zjk9w5jwdrlsc6kr8s4iq3317ys17shf-system
     label: GNU with Linux 6.13.7
     bootloader: grub-efi
     root device: /dev/mapper/cryptroot
     kernel:
     /gnu/store/q8vjcaaykh0p7769xk1rz29di1axry07-linux-6.13.7/bzImage
     channels:
       guix:
         repository URL:
         https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
         branch: master
         commit: 98be320183579b3d09cf4059e86a9781485628b4
       nonguix:
         repository URL: https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
         branch: master
         commit: fa416ebdf9e4d5c3b9676ded8829c5875bcf4f0e
       atomized:
         repository URL:
         https://codeberg.org/ieure/atomized-guix.git
         branch: main
         commit: bd4ef7fad637b7213e1a96885b61a6ca471eeb0b
     configuration file:
     /gnu/store/dx2hzsqh47iz2pbiwiqsd8w7lpc6f4jy-configuration.scm

 -- Ian