Subject: Re: bug#77083: 31.0.50; submit-emacs-patch doesn't work in compressed lisp files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2025 14:21:32 +0200

> From: Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 14:37:04 -0600
> 
> When Emacs was compiled with compress-install, using submit-emacs-patch gives an error because it
> search for maintainer address in file.el instead file.el.gz. 

Thanks, but this lacks details, IMO.  AFAIU, submit-emacs-patch gleans
source file names from the patch file you are about to submit, and it
expands each file name in the patch against source-directory, before
looking them up for their maintainers.  In the source tree (if you
still have it around) the files are not compressed.  OTOH, if your
patch names files by their absolute file name (in which case
source-directory is not used), and the files are compressed in the
installation tree, then how did you produce the patch from compressed
files in the first place in a way that names the files without the .gz
extensions?

IOW, please show an example of a patch that could be used to reproduce
this issue and the recipe to reproduce, and please tell whether you do
or don't have the Emacs source tree pointed to by source-directory.
Or maybe I'm missing something obvious, in which case please point out
what I missed.

Thanks.

P.S. I added Philip to the discussion, since he made the relevant
change in emacsbug.el.