Subject: [bug#77033] [PATCH] deploy: Support --target and --system.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2025 16:42:25 +0900

Hi Sergey,

Sergey Trofimov <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>>> Additionally `guix-daemon` should know all the systems the host
>>> supports. Currently it knows only the native one (`--system`
>>> parameter).
>>
>> I've never used such feature, so I wouldn't know of how useful that
>> would be :-).  Perhaps useful if the machine is to be used
>> exclusively
>> for cross-compiling by default?  You could also set that via 'export
>> GUIX_BUILD_OPTIONS=--target=$gnu-triplet', no?
>
> You've mentioned it in the previous mail:
>
>> In my experience, assuming a powerful x86_64 workstation,
>> cross-compilation > native-compilation (on lower spec ARM machine) >
>> emulated native compilation (QEMU).

I was answering the specific implementation details you seemed to allude
to, regarding that guix-daemon should know also about the non-native
(cross-compiled) target systems supported.

I didn't understand that part.  Why would we need to teach the daemon
something new?  It already can cross-compile things as it is, even it
lacks such explicit knowledge, it seems.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim