Subject: bug#7700: 24.0.50; C-y binding withing Isearch mode

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 21:09:28 +0100

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>> I suggest instead that any standard forward movement command while in
>>>>> isearch forward mode should select the text to grab WITHOUT any
>>>>> prefix key.
>>> That might be a good choice, but:
>>> - we lack experimental evidence for that.
>>> - it would probably be too big a change to have that as a default behavior.
>> IMHO, that proposal would make text grabbing in Isearch (a) More
>> powerful (you could use every movement command to grab text), and (b)
>> easier/simpler (you already know the movement commands).
>
> Compared to the use of a prefix, there is an important difference: the
> prefix tells isearch that the next command is a movement command, so it
> can be used with *any* command (and can lead to surprises if the command
> is not a movement command), whereas in the absence of a prefix, isearch
> would need to know which commands are "movement commands", and this
> knowledge would always tend to be partial, so it will fail with
> some commands.

Forgot to mention that. There is same problem with extending the
selected region. cua-mode solves this by attaching properties to
movement commands. I think that is a good and flexible solution
(though there could perhaps be custom support for it etc).