Subject: Re: bug#7700: 24.0.50; C-y binding withing Isearch mode

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 04:25:42 +0100

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 3:39 AM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I use C-y ("grab to next end of line") quite a bit.
>
> I'd much rather have a prefix key that lets me use any standard movement
> to select the text to grab from the buffer (so "<prefix> C-e" would do
> what C-y does and "<prefix> M-f" would do more or less what C-w does).

I like the logic/mnemonic but wouldn't it would be cumbersome to use it?

I suggest instead that any standard forward movement command while in
isearch forward mode should select the text to grab WITHOUT any prefix
key. For backward movement I suggest a similar logic.

Would not that be both easy to use and remember? (And I think the
logic is so easy for the mind that it would be quick to relearn. In
addition to this is rather similar to how extending the region works
which should make it even easier to remember.)

In addition to this I suggest that standard paste commands (i.e. C-y
yank/C-v cua-paste) paste into isearch search string.

And that M-y (i.e. yank-pop/cua-yank-pop) does the yank popping on the
isearch search string as suggested here.