Subject: bug#7700: closed (Re: bug#7700: 24.0.50; C-y binding in Isearch mode)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 15:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#7700: 24.0.50; C-y binding withing Isearch mode

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
7700: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7700
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#7700: 24.0.50; C-y binding in Isearch mode
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 12:42:54 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> I think this bug can be closed, because with the current trunk, I
> already see the behavior requested in the OP, i.e. (within Isearch):

Thanks, done,

        Stefan

Subject: 24.0.50; C-y binding withing Isearch mode
From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:06:16 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: wishlist

Two common task performed when editing with Emacs are (a) Visit some file
and (b) search for some text.

In my case it often happens that the path of the file to visit or the text
to search for is previously copied to the kill ring (or system clipboard),
so that I, intuitively, yank it with C-y.

This works OK when the operation at hand is to visit a file, but it doesn't
in the search case, because in Isearch mode, C-y is bounded to another
command: One that takes the text from point to the end of line as search
text (which is of little use, IMO).

Personally, I find this behavior inconsistent/annoying: I would expect that
C-y within Isearch add text X to the search text, where X is the text that
would be yanked in normal editing.

One solution to fix this would be to swap the bindings of C-y and M-y
withing Isearch mode. Of course I can do that in my .emacs, but if you agree
with my reasoning, it could be make the default.

What do you think?

-- 
Dani Moncayo