Subject: Re: bug#7700: 24.0.50; C-y binding withing Isearch mode

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 02:34:04 +0100

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I tested to implement this and it took me just a few minutes to get
>> the first part of it working. Now what do you want me to do with this?
>
> Implemented what?

You answered to Alan's comment about "wild and visionary schemes"
(which he said he strongly opposed). One of  this schemes were my
suggestion. I implemented that (or at least part of it, copying on
forward movement commands).

> But this is not the place to design.  If the discussion is to be continued, it
> should be moved to emacs-devel.
>
>> I actually think submitting a new bug report is the best thing.
>
> Huh?  What for?  We already have one bug report about this.

I think we now also use the bug list for wishes. Since I think this
discussion already have come to an end with regards to suggestions it
might be time to move it to a bug report.

But it might also be a bit to early.

The reason for moving it is that we otherwise might just forget it.
(If you do not like the suggestion then maybe that would be ok for
you. ;-)

>> It might mean killing it as Drew suggested,
>
> No idea what you mean.  I didn't suggest killing "it", whatever you might mean
> by "it".  I didn't suggest killing anything.

You said "let's just send the thread to the wishlist graveyard".

> It is that discussion that might take a while and is currently incomplete (IMO).

You might be right.

> But before "implementing" that we should decide where to put the current C-y
> behavior.

Sorry for the miscommunication. I just made a quick test
implementation for letting the movement commands copy things into the
search string. It is easily implemented with what we currently have. I
just wanted to tell that since that is an important thing to consider.

>> but as some of us would love this change it also reminds of
>> Inanna. It will return.
>
> What change?  Use C-y in isearch for yanking?  Yes, but then what?

The suggestion to let movement keys by themselves copy the part moved
over to the search prompt ... ;-)