Subject: bug#7700: 24.0.50; C-y binding withing Isearch mode

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:51:21 -0800

> I tested to implement this and it took me just a few minutes to get
> the first part of it working. Now what do you want me to do with this?

Implemented what?

We were in the middle of an open-ended discussion of which binding to use for
what is currently C-y, etc.  AFAIK, nothing was decided.  At least I hope
nothing has been decided.  More discussion is needed of what the best approach
is, IMO.

But this is not the place to design.  If the discussion is to be continued, it
should be moved to emacs-devel.

> I actually think submitting a new bug report is the best thing.

Huh?  What for?  We already have one bug report about this.

The suggestion to use C-y for yank, which those who have discussed it so far
seem to agree on (without agreeing yet about where to put what is now on C-y) is
already logged as _this_ bug report (really an enhancement request).  Why would
we want an additional one?

> It might mean killing it as Drew suggested,

No idea what you mean.  I didn't suggest killing "it", whatever you might mean
by "it".  I didn't suggest killing anything.

My suggestion was to move the discussion of which key to use for what is now C-y
(yank to end of line) to the emacs-devel list.  Nothing more.

It is that discussion that might take a while and is currently incomplete (IMO).

The discussion of whether to let C-y and M-y do what they usually do finished
quickly - at least on the bug list.  Everyone participating so far agreed that
it is a good idea.

But before "implementing" that we should decide where to put the current C-y
behavior.

> but as some of us would love this change it also reminds of
> Inanna. It will return.

What change?  Use C-y in isearch for yanking?  Yes, but then what?