Subject: Re: bug#7698: aclocal generates too strict a check for name-lister

From: Peter Rosin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:52:03 +0100

Den 2010-12-22 10:06 skrev Ximin Luo:
> On 22/12/10 00:55, Peter Rosin wrote:
>> FWIW, It smells exactly like a bug that was fixed in libtool 2.2.8 related
>> to this NEWS entry:
> 
> I did some more poking around - this bug is in libtool, but not the one you
> mention. The "responsible snippet" I pasted above is from libtool.m4, and it
> exists in both 2.2.6 (what I have) and 2.2.10 (I checked the debian package
> from experimental). I've sent a mail to [email-masked].

Well, since I do not see any message on bug-libtool (yet), I'll respond here.

Your quoted "responsible snippet" is not really responsible, methinks.

The bug I mentioned was that when cross-compiling and yet expecting to find
a name lister that is not named as cross tools are normally named (i.e.
relying on 'nm' instead of 'pentium4-foo-bar-nm') libtool would go with the
'link' program instead of falling back to 'nm'. In the good old days, before
libtool could use 'link' (not the 'link' you have, another proprietary 'link')
to find symbols, libtool did fall back to 'nm' in setups such as yours,
and that regression was fixed in 2.2.8. This is exactly what seems to be
happening to you, so I can only encourage you to try with a more recent
libtool. Or, if you find it difficult to update libtool, install a
'pentium4-foo-bar-nm' where your current libtool will find it, perhaps as a
symlink to '/usr/bin/nm'.

Cheers,
Peter