Subject: Re: bug#76974: 31.0.50; [wishlist] Add global key binding for tramp-revert-buffer-with-sudo

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2025 19:49:45 +0800

Hello,

Yes, when I saw this my first thought was the C-x x keymap.  I think
using one of TRAMP's commonly-used characters would be good, so:

    C-x x @
or  C-x x :
or  C-x x |
or  C-x x /

I would suggest avoiding '|' because we might want to use it later for
something pipe-related.

We would want it to be easy to customise this for specific systems so
that the new binding always gets you root access, on systems that use
doas or su instead of sudo.
I see that there is already tramp-file-name-with-method for configuring
this.

Have you considered renaming the command to something like
tramp-revert-buffer-obtain-root ?  Adding a global binding seems like a
nice opportunity for a rename.

-- 
Sean Whitton