Subject: bug#76974: 31.0.50; [wishlist] Add global key binding for tramp-revert-buffer-with-sudo

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2025 10:37:02 +0100

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Steve,

>>>> tramp-revert-buffer-with-sudo has been added to Emacs 30.1. I propose to
>>>> give it a global key binding 'C-x @'. With this binding, it is more
>>>> simple to revert the current buffer to visit with "sudo"
>>>> permissions. This is useful for buffers visiting a file, or for dired
>>>> buffers.
>>>
>>> `C-x @' is the prefix for the `event-apply-*-modifier' functions in the
>>> globally accessible function-key-map.
>>
>> That's unfortune. What about 'C-x |'? Worse mnemonic, but it is related
>> to Tramp's multi-hop syntax.
>
> `C-x |' is globally unbound AFAICS.  Another available key combination
> is `C-c @', unless '@' counts as a letter (info "(elisp) Key Binding
> Conventions").  (On e.g. German keyboards '|' and '@' are not the easiest
> keys to type, but that's probably not a decisive criterion.)

I'm open to any alternative. I've proposed the 'C-x' keymap due to its
similarity to 'C-x C-f', 'C-x C-v' and 'C-x d'.

> Steve Berman

Best regards, Michael.