Subject: bug#76974: 31.0.50; [wishlist] Add global key binding for tramp-revert-buffer-with-sudo

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2025 10:27:54 +0100

On Wed, 12 Mar 2025 10:14:27 +0100 Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
>>> tramp-revert-buffer-with-sudo has been added to Emacs 30.1. I propose to
>>> give it a global key binding 'C-x @'. With this binding, it is more
>>> simple to revert the current buffer to visit with "sudo"
>>> permissions. This is useful for buffers visiting a file, or for dired
>>> buffers.
>>
>> `C-x @' is the prefix for the `event-apply-*-modifier' functions in the
>> globally accessible function-key-map.
>
> That's unfortune. What about 'C-x |'? Worse mnemonic, but it is related
> to Tramp's multi-hop syntax.

`C-x |' is globally unbound AFAICS.  Another available key combination
is `C-c @', unless '@' counts as a letter (info "(elisp) Key Binding
Conventions").  (On e.g. German keyboards '|' and '@' are not the easiest
keys to type, but that's probably not a decisive criterion.)

Steve Berman