Subject: 30.1; Specific UTF-8 characters causes misalignments on PGTK

From: artur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2025 20:07:11 +0000

To reproduce this bug, you must:
1. Open a terminal (such as emacs-eat, vterm, the usual emacs terminal)
2. Open btop (I used `nix run "nixpkgs#btop"` but you could use `pacman
-S btop | yes && btop` on Arch Linux)

The effects caused are severe distortion to where the program isn't
really usable. You may see extreme graphical issues such as:
- More violent refreshes
- Characters not lining up either barely or Finnishly gapped

A recipe will not be provided, as the terminals provided by Emacs cannot
render btop period.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.48,
cairo version 1.18.2)
System Description: NixOS 25.05 (Warbler)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/q9plzwv5nr7b0napm8wqw7n8diqkzbk9-emacs-pgtk-30.1
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-pgtk
 --with-compress-install --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 --with-native-compilation --without-imagemagick --with-mailutils
 --without-small-ja-dic --with-tree-sitter --without-xinput2
 --without-xwidgets --with-dbus --with-selinux'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH:
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  mood-line-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-minibuffer-history-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  envrc-global-mode: t
  spacious-padding-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/nix/store/36pj459qgxdr31ck8p34knf62krvp5rn-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start 
hides 
/nix/store/q9plzwv5nr7b0napm8wqw7n8diqkzbk9-emacs-pgtk-30.1/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/nix/store/36pj459qgxdr31ck8p34knf62krvp5rn-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/transient-20250306.1916/transient 
hides 
/nix/store/q9plzwv5nr7b0napm8wqw7n8diqkzbk9-emacs-pgtk-30.1/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/transient
/nix/store/36pj459qgxdr31ck8p34knf62krvp5rn-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/seq-2.24/seq 
hides 
/nix/store/q9plzwv5nr7b0napm8wqw7n8diqkzbk9-emacs-pgtk-30.1/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq
/nix/store/36pj459qgxdr31ck8p34knf62krvp5rn-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/compat-30.0.2.0/compat 
hides 
/nix/store/q9plzwv5nr7b0napm8wqw7n8diqkzbk9-emacs-pgtk-30.1/share/emacs/30.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/compat

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils comp comp-cstr
cl-extra winner cursor-sensor tramp-archive tramp-gvfs dbus xml
helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-info comp-run comp-common
display-line-numbers eglot external-completion jsonrpc xref flymake
thingatpt seq-25 diff ert pp ewoc debug backtrace find-func warnings
compile text-property-search imenu mood-line helm-mode helm-misc
helm-files image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external
image-dired-util image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif filenotify tramp
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message help-mode tramp-compat
xdg shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date tramp-loaddefs
helm-buffers helm-x-icons helm-occur helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
helm-regexp format-spec helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm
helm-global-bindings helm-easymenu edmacro kmacro helm-core helm-source
helm-multi-match helm-lib async savehist which-key envrc inheritenv
diff-mode track-changes config spacious-padding cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
python rx project compat pcase treesit comint ansi-osc ring ansi-color
base16-everforest-dark-hard-theme base16-theme bind-key easy-mmode
base16-theme-autoloads envrc-autoloads haskell-mode-autoloads
helm-autoloads helm-core-autoloads async-autoloads inheritenv-autoloads
mood-line-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
llama-autoloads qml-mode-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
spacious-padding-autoloads info transient-autoloads vterm-autoloads
wfnames-autoloads package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl
tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk multi-tty move-toolbar
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 321284 30614) (symbols 48 22076 0) (strings 32 70691 3306)
 (string-bytes 1 2695713) (vectors 16 38770)
 (vector-slots 8 464270 12189) (floats 8 153 1264)
 (intervals 56 1019 110) (buffers 992 16))

------------
Artur Manuel
amadaluzia