Subject: bug#76967: 30.1; Specific UTF-8 characters causes misalignments on PGTK

From: artur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2025 20:45:57 +0000

> When you say "using font so-and-so", do you mean the font used for 
the
 > default face?

I meant for the default face, yes.

 > Maybe you should look at what font is used on Braille or CJK 
characters
 > with "C-u C-x =" when you see such misalignment. With fontsets, Emacs
 > tries really hard to find a suitable glyph for a given character even
 > using a different font which, most probably, will have a different 
width
 > and cause misalignment.

 > If so, please check whether the problematic characters are rendered
 > using some different font. E.g., I'd expect Braille or CJK characters
 > to use a different font.

And you are absolutely right to believe this - seems as if with 
Departure
Mono, separator blocks are being rendered with FreeSerif. Not really
surprised why it was breaking now. However, in foot it finds the correct
glyph in with the same font? Looks like Emacs was *very* eager to 
replace
the glyph even if a matching one existed...

I'll throw in some screenshots. If any more information is needed, just 
let
me know.
------------
Artur Manuel
amadaluzia