Subject: bug#76967: 30.1; Specific UTF-8 characters causes misalignments on PGTK

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2025 21:26:04 +0200

> Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2025 17:42:31 +0000
> From: artur <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
>  > I think it would help us greatly if you show some simple text with 
> the
>  > problematic characters that cannot be aligned, whereas replacing 
> those
>  > characters with ASCII characters solves the alignment issue.
> 
> It really varies on the font. For example, using Departure Mono causes
> any non Latin/Numerical character to not work as intended. On fonts such
> as Iosevka, Source Code Pro or DejaVu Sans Mono, pipeline characters
> work as intended but starts misaligning when you are using Braille or
> CJK. FreeMono works without a hitch.

When you say "using font so-and-so", do you mean the font used for the
default face?  If so, please check whether the problematic characters
are rendered using some different font.  E.g., I'd expect Braille or
CJK characters to use a different font.  "C-u C-x =" with point on the
character will tell you what font is used for displaying that
character.

If some characters are using a different font, then it is very likely
that you will have misalignment, because the glyphs of those other
fonts have different metrics from those of the default face's font.