Subject: bug#76967: 30.1; Specific UTF-8 characters causes misalignments on PGTK

From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2025 19:13:42 +0100

artur via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I think it would help us greatly if you show some simple text with
>   the
>> problematic characters that cannot be aligned, whereas replacing
>   those
>> characters with ASCII characters solves the alignment issue.
>
> It really varies on the font. For example, using Departure Mono causes
> any non Latin/Numerical character to not work as intended. On fonts such
> as Iosevka, Source Code Pro or DejaVu Sans Mono, pipeline characters
> work as intended but starts misaligning when you are using Braille or
> CJK. FreeMono works without a hitch.

Maybe you should look at what font is used on Braille or CJK characters
with "C-u C-x =" when you see such misalignment.  With fontsets, Emacs
tries really hard to find a suitable glyph for a given character even
using a different font which, most probably, will have a different width
and cause misalignment.
-- 
Manuel Giraud