Subject: bug#76955: 30.1; php-ts-mode-php-executable default path may not match remote path

From: Morgan Willcock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2025 16:51:15 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > My suggestion will still work in your case, no?
>> 
>> It would work in my particular case, but it also means that someone who
>> installed their own executable at "~/bin/php" on both the local and
>> remote systems, and then customised the value to "~/bin/php", would now
>> have a new class of problem on the remote system.
>
> Customizing the variable to "~/bin/php" will only work if it is
> correct for _all_ the remote systems, as you yourself pointed out.
> Which is unlikely to happen.

I am pointing out an example of user controlled paths which have been
specifically configured to match, which is not the original problem that
I was pointing out.

> And adding "~/bin" to PATH to fix this particular case is a
> no-brainer.

It is not necessarily easy to add "~/bin" to PATH for the remote
connection.

> So I still insist that my proposal is better than just changing the
> default value to "php".

> Then let's stop arguing and install the change.

I'm happy to leave the conversation at this point.

-- 
Morgan Willcock