Subject: bug#76950: tramp caches non-existing podman containers

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2025 15:20:21 +0100

Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Konstantin,
 
> Thank you! The patch seems to work, but it behaves a bit oddly. If I go
> over steps-to-reproduce, I quit container, do C-x C-f and check
> containers name not there anymore… I still see it cached! However, if I
> do that again in a few seconds, the container disappears.
>
> It's as if cache still there, but it gets removed after a delay.

My patch doesn't cleanup the cache. It just suppresses the use of the
cache for host name completion.

The (file) cache expires due to remote-file-name-inhibit-cache. Likely
you use the default value, 10 seconds. This is independent of my patch.

> Other than that, the patch is definitely an improvement, so if it's not
> clear why this "cache removal with delay" happens, I think patch still
> may be worth installing.

I'll polish it a little bit, will push it later.

Best regards, Michael.