Subject: bug#76935: 31.0.50; New frame ignores default-frame-alist

From: Jens Lechtenboerger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2025 09:39:05 +0100

On 2025-03-11, martin rudalics wrote:

>>>>> (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 80) (height . 55) (menu-bar-lines . 1)))
>
> I doubt it would change anything but why do you set 'menu-bar-lines'?

No particular reason, I just copied from the doc string.
Correct, its presence or absence does not change anything.

>>> With "./configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid" the problem does
>>> not arise.
>
> Is this with the GNOME desktop and the mutter window manager?

I did not change the default.  My display manager is gdm3 with
Xwayland.  So, I guess: Yes.  (I also see a process
/usr/libexec/mutter-x11-frames.)

> If so, it
> sounds like Bug#73244 and Bug#72986.  People seem to work around it by
> setting the frame size once more in 'after-make-frame-functions'
> sometimes even using a timer.  BTW, does the initial frame have
> reasonable size?

Ah, yes, this seems to be Bug#73244.  In fact, the dimensions from
the doc string do not work:

(defun resize-me (frame)
  (set-frame-size frame 80 55))

(add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions 'resize-me)

I still get small frames/windows.

Using (set-frame-size frame 80 54) does work, though.

Yes, the initial frame is of reasonable size.

Best wishes,
Jens