Subject: 31.0.50; rectangle-mark-mode resets fringe-mode settings

From: the_wurfkreuz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2025 08:06:40 +0000

If i set the fringe-mode with the 'minimal' option, then using the
rectangle-mark-mode resets it.

Steps to reproduce:

1. emacs -Q
2. In the scratch buffer evaluate this code:

(global-display-line-numbers-mode 1)
(setq display-line-numbers 'visual
display-line-numbers-type 'relative)

3. M-x fringe-mode (choose the minimal option)
4. M-x rectangle-mark-mode

You will see that the fringe area reappeared again.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2025-03-10 built on ub-void
Repository revision: b568ff418ce7147c27d7f82fe4a8eef325b9de2c
Repository branch: HEAD
System Description: Void Linux

Configured using:
'configure --with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter --with-gif
--with-png --with-jpeg --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-imagemagick
--with-pgtk --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ IMAGEMAGICK JPEG
LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP
XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_COLLATE: C
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
org-appear-mode: t
windmove-mode: t
savehist-mode: t
meow-global-mode: t
meow-mode: t
meow-normal-mode: t
meow-esc-mode: t
envrc-global-mode: t
envrc-mode: t
buffer-terminator-mode: t
global-git-commit-mode: t
magit-auto-revert-mode: t
marginalia-mode: t
vertico-mode: t
corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
corfu-history-mode: t
corfu-echo-mode: t
global-corfu-mode: t
corfu-mode: t
which-key-mode: t
undo-fu-session-global-mode: t
undo-fu-session-mode: t
global-treesit-auto-mode: t
global-auto-revert-mode: t
save-place-mode: t
electric-pair-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
display-line-numbers-mode: t
override-global-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tab-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
auto-fill-function: org-auto-fill-function
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/wurfkreuz/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250306.1916/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/31.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug rect cus-start python vc-git
vc-dispatcher org-appear image-file image-converter oc-basic ol-eww eww
vtable url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls dig gnus-sum shr
pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 nnoo
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus nnheader range ol-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi misearch multi-isearch windmove dired-aux help-fns
radix-tree mule-util tramp-cmds savehist f eshell em-tramp esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-proc esh-opt esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-module-loaddefs
esh-util meow meow-tutor meow-cheatsheet meow-cheatsheet-layout
meow-core meow-shims meow-esc meow-command array meow-thing meow-visual
meow-keypad meow-beacon meow-helpers meow-util meow-keymap meow-face
meow-var delsel org-tempo tempo org-drill persist org-agenda embark-org
org-element org-persist org-id org-refile org-element-ast inline
avl-tree org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces
org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-version org-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs org-compat org-macs eglot external-completion
jsonrpc xref ert ewoc debug backtrace kdl-mode generic markdown-mode
color nix-mode nix-repl nix-shell nix-store nix-log nix-instantiate
nix-shebang nix-format nix yaml-mode dockerfile-mode terraform-mode
noutline outline hcl-mode lua-mode perl-mode flymake envrc inheritenv
buffer-terminator magit-bookmark magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff git-commit log-edit message sendmail
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process magit-mode benchmark magit-git magit-base
magit-section cursor-sensor crm llama nerd-icons nerd-icons-faces
nerd-icons-data nerd-icons-data-mdicon nerd-icons-data-flicon
nerd-icons-data-codicon nerd-icons-data-devicon nerd-icons-data-sucicon
nerd-icons-data-wicon nerd-icons-data-faicon nerd-icons-data-powerline
nerd-icons-data-octicon nerd-icons-data-pomicon nerd-icons-data-ipsicon
smerge-mode diff-mode track-changes diff hydra lv with-editor server
embark-consult embark ffap thingatpt consult bookmark marginalia vertico
project cape corfu-popupinfo corfu-history corfu-echo corfu orderless
wgrep grep compile text-property-search which-key docker docker-context
docker-volume docker-network docker-image docker-container docker-faces
docker-core docker-compose docker-process docker-utils tablist advice
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet dired
dired-loaddefs tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message
tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring parse-time iso8601
time-date ansi-color tramp-loaddefs docker-group transient format-spec
edmacro kmacro compat dash aio generator s goto-chg undo-fu-session
undo-fu zig-ts-mode clojure-ts-mode treesit-auto crontab-mode sh-script
smie treesit executable rose-pine-theme cus-edit pp cus-load midnight
autorevert filenotify saveplace desktop frameset elec-pair recentf
tree-widget wid-edit comp comp-cstr warnings comp-run comp-common rx
display-line-numbers cl-extra help-mode use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf buffer-terminator-autoloads
cape-autoloads clojure-ts-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads
crontab-mode-autoloads docker-autoloads aio-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads
embark-autoloads envrc-autoloads evil-collection-autoloads
annalist-autoloads evil-numbers-autoloads evil-surround-autoloads
evil-autoloads evil-textobj-tree-sitter-autoloads f-autoloads
goto-chg-autoloads hydra-autoloads inheritenv-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads lv-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads meow-autoloads
nerd-icons-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
llama-autoloads orderless-autoloads org-appear-autoloads
org-drill-autoloads persist-autoloads s-autoloads tablist-autoloads
tempel-collection-autoloads tempel-autoloads terraform-mode-autoloads
dash-autoloads hcl-mode-autoloads transient-autoloads
treesit-auto-autoloads undo-fu-autoloads undo-fu-session-autoloads
vertico-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads zig-ts-mode-autoloads package browse-url xdg url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons password-cache json
subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib
rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win
term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 869177 147070) (symbols 48 51473 0) (strings 32 260806 10351)
(string-bytes 1 7871353) (vectors 16 86909) (vector-slots 8 1037340 57298)
(floats 8 745 306) (intervals 56 6731 2128) (buffers 992 18))