Subject: bug#76926: 31.0.50; Hyperbole tarball bloat

From: Mats Lidell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2025 23:51:44 +0200

> Stefan Monnier writes:
>
> Oh, we need a solution that works without any such change on your side
> (there are too many packages in need of this: they won't all make
> changes for us).
>
> > But I still don’t understand why all the manual files and directories
> > can’t just stay under the man or a doc subdir below the root Hyperbole
> > directory and just be auto added to Info-directory list, for example.
>
> AFAIK this is unrelated to the HTML file you see in `elpa.gnu.org` and
> furthermore I think you're making invalid assumptions (AFAIK they *can*
> stay there just fine).  IOW, please provide more details about exactly
> what it is you want, what you tried to do to get it, and what
> happened instead.

Sorry but I'm confused here. Let me take step back.

This thread or bug is about reducing the bloat in the Hyperbole package and
possibly what files are stored in git. One of the things you suggested was
that we could let ELPA generate the info and dir files plus generate a HTML
file that would be linked to from the ELPA web site.

That sounded like something worth testing so I suggested that we had a go at
it and you helped us by adding the :doc attribute to the ELPA recipe for
Hyperbole. Unfortunately that did not work because the texi file refers to
images stored in a sub folder relative to the info file.

I think here is where we stand today. What we want is that the images are
shown in info and when web browsing. It is not clear to me if this is possible
with changes in the Hyperbole package, or if the recipe needs to be changed as
well or do we even need changes to the ELPA build system to support local
files!?

Adding the images to the :doc attribute and change the texi file to assume a
flat file structure seems plausible but will that work for the web page?

%% Mats