Subject: bug#76915: 31.0.50; package-compute-transaction: Cannot install package

From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 14:52:50 +0100

Hi,

if I do the following:

- emacs -Q
- M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
- M-x list-packages RET
- Move to `adoc-mode`
- Press i
- Press X
- Press y

The following error is shown:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "This package requires Emacs
version 26")
  signal(error ("This package requires Emacs version 26"))
  error("This package requires Emacs version %s" "26")
  package-compute-transaction((#s(package-desc :name adoc-mode :version
(0 7 0) :summary "a major-mode for editing AsciiDoc files" :reqs ((emacs
(26))) :kind tar :archive "nongnu" :dir nil :extras ((:url .
"https://github.com/bbatsov/adoc-mode") (:keywords "docs" "wp")
(:maintainer "Bozhidar Batsov" . "[email-masked]") (:authors
("Florian Kaufmann" . "[email-masked]")) (:commit .
"66b9adc97d8702de47140092cbae3a2f5563a297")) :signed nil)) ((emacs (26))))
  package-install(#s(package-desc :name adoc-mode :version (0 7 0)
:summary "a major-mode for editing AsciiDoc files" :reqs ((emacs (26)))
:kind tar :archive "nongnu" :dir nil :extras ((:url .
"https://github.com/bbatsov/adoc-mode") (:keywords "docs" "wp")
(:maintainer "Bozhidar Batsov" . "[email-masked]") (:authors
("Florian Kaufmann" . "[email-masked]")) (:commit .
"66b9adc97d8702de47140092cbae3a2f5563a297")) :signed nil) dont-select)
  package-menu--perform-transaction((#s(package-desc :name adoc-mode
:version (0 7 0) :summary "a major-mode for editing AsciiDoc files"
:reqs ((emacs (26))) :kind tar :archive "nongnu" :dir nil :extras ((:url
. "https://github.com/bbatsov/adoc-mode") (:keywords "docs" "wp")
(:maintainer "Bozhidar Batsov" . "[email-masked]") (:authors
("Florian Kaufmann" . "[email-masked]")) (:commit .
"66b9adc97d8702de47140092cbae3a2f5563a297")) :signed nil)) nil)
  package-menu-execute()
  funcall-interactively(package-menu-execute)
  call-interactively(package-menu-execute nil nil)
  command-execute(package-menu-execute)

The error is present when I try to update installed packages as well
(e.g. markdown-mode).

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.18.0) of 2025-03-10 built on baruch
Repository revision: 94ba1b097ed12b9b77ecef4899c18b46b7e2dd36
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12302006
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=no 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -march=native
 -fomit-frame-pointer''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Package Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  header-line-indent-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt mm-archive message sendmail
yank-media dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils mule-util cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load
wid-edit gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny
epg rfc6068 epg-config display-line-numbers finder-inf package
browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 281826 29155) (symbols 48 10587 0) (strings 32 54398 5959)
 (string-bytes 1 1175744) (vectors 16 19805)
 (vector-slots 8 190280 10304) (floats 8 40 29)
 (intervals 56 24413 237) (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Manuel Uberti
https://manueluberti.eu