Subject: bug#76915: closed (Re: bug#76915: 31.0.50; package-compute-transaction: Cannot install package)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 17:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#76915: 31.0.50; package-compute-transaction: Cannot install package

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76915: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76915
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76915: 31.0.50; package-compute-transaction: Cannot install package
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 19:12:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 15:05:34 +0100
> From:  Manuel Uberti via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> The problem is the same as the one reported at #76861. It was fixed by
> commit 6d99b74ef7701f00ccf6fe76ba7dbcbde00e241a.
> 
> This ticket can be closed then.

Done.  (You can do that yourself as well.)

Subject: 31.0.50; package-compute-transaction: Cannot install package
From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 14:52:50 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

if I do the following:

- emacs -Q
- M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
- M-x list-packages RET
- Move to `adoc-mode`
- Press i
- Press X
- Press y

The following error is shown:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "This package requires Emacs
version 26")
  signal(error ("This package requires Emacs version 26"))
  error("This package requires Emacs version %s" "26")
  package-compute-transaction((#s(package-desc :name adoc-mode :version
(0 7 0) :summary "a major-mode for editing AsciiDoc files" :reqs ((emacs
(26))) :kind tar :archive "nongnu" :dir nil :extras ((:url .
"https://github.com/bbatsov/adoc-mode") (:keywords "docs" "wp")
(:maintainer "Bozhidar Batsov" . "[email-masked]") (:authors
("Florian Kaufmann" . "[email-masked]")) (:commit .
"66b9adc97d8702de47140092cbae3a2f5563a297")) :signed nil)) ((emacs (26))))
  package-install(#s(package-desc :name adoc-mode :version (0 7 0)
:summary "a major-mode for editing AsciiDoc files" :reqs ((emacs (26)))
:kind tar :archive "nongnu" :dir nil :extras ((:url .
"https://github.com/bbatsov/adoc-mode") (:keywords "docs" "wp")
(:maintainer "Bozhidar Batsov" . "[email-masked]") (:authors
("Florian Kaufmann" . "[email-masked]")) (:commit .
"66b9adc97d8702de47140092cbae3a2f5563a297")) :signed nil) dont-select)
  package-menu--perform-transaction((#s(package-desc :name adoc-mode
:version (0 7 0) :summary "a major-mode for editing AsciiDoc files"
:reqs ((emacs (26))) :kind tar :archive "nongnu" :dir nil :extras ((:url
. "https://github.com/bbatsov/adoc-mode") (:keywords "docs" "wp")
(:maintainer "Bozhidar Batsov" . "[email-masked]") (:authors
("Florian Kaufmann" . "[email-masked]")) (:commit .
"66b9adc97d8702de47140092cbae3a2f5563a297")) :signed nil)) nil)
  package-menu-execute()
  funcall-interactively(package-menu-execute)
  call-interactively(package-menu-execute nil nil)
  command-execute(package-menu-execute)

The error is present when I try to update installed packages as well
(e.g. markdown-mode).

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.18.0) of 2025-03-10 built on baruch
Repository revision: 94ba1b097ed12b9b77ecef4899c18b46b7e2dd36
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12302006
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=no 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -march=native
 -fomit-frame-pointer''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Package Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  header-line-indent-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt mm-archive message sendmail
yank-media dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils mule-util cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load
wid-edit gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny
epg rfc6068 epg-config display-line-numbers finder-inf package
browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 281826 29155) (symbols 48 10587 0) (strings 32 54398 5959)
 (string-bytes 1 1175744) (vectors 16 19805)
 (vector-slots 8 190280 10304) (floats 8 40 29)
 (intervals 56 24413 237) (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Manuel Uberti
https://manueluberti.eu