Subject: 31.0.50; hack-local-variables docstring inaccurate about directory-local variables

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 16:58:28 +0800

Hello,

We have:

    (defun hack-local-variables (&optional handle-mode inhibit-locals)
      "Parse and put into effect this buffer's local variables spec.
    For buffers visiting files, also puts into effect directory-local
    variables.

but this second sentence is wrong -- buffers not visiting files get
them, too.  For example

- emacs -Q
- C-x v d ~/src/emacs/trunk/ RET
- C-h v fill-column RET
=> local value of 72, from our .dir-locals.el, but VC-Dir is not a
   file-visiting buffer.

I think this is not a bug in the implementation and the docstring just
needs changing.  Would someone kindly confirm?

-- 
Sean Whitton