Subject: bug#76911: dedicated side windows lose their dedication upon reuse

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2025 09:58:01 +0100

> Thanks for the fix. The original bug is gone. I've noticed a few times
 > buffers being in side windows I didn't intend to have, but I haven't
 > been able to find a repro.  Probably an unrelated bug.

You could try without passing (dedicated . t) as alist element.  The
manual says

           The dedicated flag (*note Dedicated Windows::) has a slightly
           different meaning for side windows.  When a side window is
           created, that flag is set to the value ‘side’ to prevent
           ‘display-buffer’ to use the window in other action functions.
           Its value persists across invocations of ‘quit-window’,
           ‘kill-buffer’, ‘previous-buffer’ and ‘next-buffer’.

So a dedicated flag that does not equal 'side' might cause the problem
here.  If it persists, I can write some code for 'display-buffer' so we
can find the offender.

 > We should
 > probably visually style side windows differently by default.

We could try to paint the window dividers accordingly.

martin