Subject: bug#76891: GNOME session fails to start with uk_UA.utf8 system locale

From: Roman Riabenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2025 16:55:41 +0200

Hello.

I was trying to upgrade a Guix System with GNOME this week, but it
was resulting in blank screen after reboot. I found that replacing
uk_UA.utf8 with en_US.utf8 in the locale field in the system
configuration allows to work around this issue and login as usual. I
also tested in a virtual machine that setting the locale to uk_UA.utf8
in the system configuration reproduces the issue.

I looked at /var/log/messages but found no unusual messages. A line
similar to the following one shows up in the working installation. But
it does not appear in the affected installation when the above issue
happens.

2025-03-09 15:50:16 localhost gnome-session-binary[263]:
CODE_FILE=../gnome-session-46.0/gnome-session/gsm-manager.c:CODE_LINE=1404:start_phase:Entering
running state

$ guix describe
Generation 14	Mar 09 2025 00:25:50	(current)
  guix a525694
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: a5256944a35e91be71b1348e805a341fe06cbb8d

Roman