Subject: 30.1.50; Docs on kmacro-ring cycling direction

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 12:49:22 +0100

Severity: minor
Tags: patch

Currently (info "(emacs) Keyboard Macro Ring") says:

‘C-x C-k C-n’
     Rotate the keyboard macro ring to the next macro (defined earlier)
     (‘kmacro-cycle-ring-next’).
‘C-x C-k C-p’
     Rotate the keyboard macro ring to the previous macro (defined
     later) (‘kmacro-cycle-ring-previous’).

But AFAICT kmacro-cycle-ring-previous moves backward
and kmacro-cycle-ring-next moves forward in time.

Am I misunderstanding something?

If not, is the following okay for emacs-30?

diff --git a/doc/emacs/kmacro.texi b/doc/emacs/kmacro.texi
index 62f275de259..b04ff8b37f6 100644
--- a/doc/emacs/kmacro.texi
+++ b/doc/emacs/kmacro.texi
@@ -199,10 +199,10 @@ Keyboard Macro Ring
 @item C-x C-k C-k
 Execute the keyboard macro at the head of the ring (@code{kmacro-end-or-call-macro-repeat}).
 @item C-x C-k C-n
-Rotate the keyboard macro ring to the next macro (defined earlier)
+Rotate the keyboard macro ring to the next macro (defined later)
 (@code{kmacro-cycle-ring-next}).
 @item C-x C-k C-p
-Rotate the keyboard macro ring to the previous macro (defined later)
+Rotate the keyboard macro ring to the previous macro (defined earlier)
 (@code{kmacro-cycle-ring-previous}).
 @end table

Thanks,
-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 30.1.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.2, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2025-03-09 built on tais
Repository revision: 35c7837c6616b3a2b845ba06d3ed797bb12fb749
Repository branch: wt/emacs-30-lucid
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101015
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb3' -C --prefix=/home/blc/.local
 --program-suffix=-30-lucid --without-native-compilation
 --with-file-notification --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils mule-util info rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 194253 10591) (symbols 48 5727 0) (strings 32 25446 2640)
 (string-bytes 1 636217) (vectors 16 10053)
 (vector-slots 8 119530 7800) (floats 8 26 1) (intervals 56 46285 20)
 (buffers 992 12))