Subject: 23.2; can't un-customize default-frame-alist

From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:07:22 -0900

$ mkdir /tmp/x
  $ HOME=/tmp/x emacs
  M-x customize-variable default-frame-alist
  <delete both elements of the alist using the customize interface>
  <set and save changes>
  C-x C-c
  $ HOME=/tmp/x emacs
  M-x customize-variable default-frame-alist
  <note that the customizations /appear/ to be gone!>
  <press 'Erase Customizations'>
  
I get "Invalid Function: (menu-bar-lines . 1)"

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29)
 of 2010-05-08 on black.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin' '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin' 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x c u s t o <tab> - v a r <tab> <return> d e f a 
<tab> f r a <tab> <return> C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-e C-p C-p C-. C-n C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p <return> 
: C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-p 
C-e C-n C-, <return> C-n C-p C-p C-a C-. C-. C-. C-. 
C-. C-, C-, C-. C-. <return> C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p 
C-p C-p C-n <return> C-n C-n C-x C-p M-x r e p o r 
t - e m a <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Wrote /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/gnus-customize.el
Compiling /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/gnus-customize.el...done
Wrote /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/gnus-customize.elc
Saving file /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/org-customize.el...
Wrote /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/org-customize.el
Compiling /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/org-customize.el...done
Wrote /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/org-customize.elc
Wrote /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/settings.el
Compiling /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/settings.el...done
Wrote /Users/dave/Dropbox/src/elhome/example/etc/settings.elc
eval: Invalid function: (menu-bar-lines . 1)

Load-path shadows:
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/zencoding-mode hides /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/zencoding-mode
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/session hides /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/session
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/repeat-insert hides /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/repeat-insert
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/regex-tool hides /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/regex-tool
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/linum hides /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/linum
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/hide-search hides /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/hide-search
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/column-marker hides /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/column-marker
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/care-package hides /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/browse-kill-ring hides /Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/browse-kill-ring
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/sha1
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-pgp5 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-pgp5
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-pgp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-pgp
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-parse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-parse
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-gpg hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-gpg
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/pgg-def hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/pgg-def
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/md4
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/elhome/lib/care-package/linum hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/linum
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/hex-util
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-xoxo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-wl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-wl
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-w3m hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-w3m
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-vm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-vm
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-timer
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-table hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-table
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-src hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-src
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-rmail hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-rmail
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-remember hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-remember
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-publish hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-publish
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-protocol
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-plot hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-plot
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mouse hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mouse
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mobile hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mobile
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mhe hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mhe
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mew hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mew
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-macs hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-macs
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-mac-message hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-list hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-list
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-latex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-latex
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-jsinfo hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-irc hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-irc
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-install hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-inlinetask hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-info hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-info
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-indent hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-indent
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-id hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-id
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-icalendar hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-html hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-html
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-habit hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-habit
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-gnus
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-freemind hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-freemind
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-footnote
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-feed hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-feed
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-faces hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-faces
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-exp hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-exp
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-exp-blocks hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-docbook hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-docbook
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-datetree hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-datetree
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-crypt hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-crypt
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-compat hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-compat
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-colview hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-colview
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-clock hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-clock
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-bibtex hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-bbdb hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-attach hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-attach
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-ascii hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-ascii
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-archive
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/org-mode/lisp/org-agenda hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-agenda
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/ntlm
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/hmac-def
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/rfc2368 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail/rfc2368
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/utf7 hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/utf7
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/semi/smime hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/smime
/Users/dave/DropBox/home/.emacs.d/el-get/mailcrypt/timer hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/timer

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
epg-config mm-view mel mime-def alist mcharset mcs-20 mcs-e20 pces
pces-e20 pces-20 broken pcustom path-util poe pym static apel-ver
product gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
format-spec gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win message
ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 sha1-el hex-util hashcash
emacsbug vc-git pp cus-edit elhome byte-code-cache byte-opt dwa/packages
.loaddefs flex-mode derived bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone org-install
info package compile comint ring el-get autoload bytecomp byte-compile
cl cl-19 dired regexp-opt advice help-fns advice-preload gnus gnus-ems
nnheader gnus-util netrc time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit initsplit warnings paren server autorevert delsel cus-start
cus-load tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
easymenu tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)