Subject: bug#76861: closed (Re: bug#76871: 31.0.50; package--builtin-versions contains two entries for `emacs`.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2025 00:07:06 +0000

Your bug report

#76871: 31.0.50; Can't install packages that require older Emacs

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76871: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76871
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76871: 31.0.50; package--builtin-versions contains two entries for `emacs`.
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>, No Wayman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 17:05:55 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 8/3/25 13:00, No Wayman wrote:
>> An (emacs 1 0) snuck into package--builtin-versions recently.
>> Came onto my radar because it's breaking package version checks in the
>> Elpaca package manager.
>> Any chance we can get this regenerated so there is only one entry for
>> `emacs`?
>
> See Bug#76861

I think this is fixed, so I'm closing this.

Please reopen if I've misunderstood.

Subject: 31.0.50; Can't install packages that require older Emacs
From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2025 07:29:17 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With a prune init.el that only has these lines (so that it won't mess my 
real
custom-file):

(setq custom-file "~/.emacs.d/test-custom.el")
(when (file-exists-p (expand-file-name custom-file))
   (load custom-file))

Start emacs with "emacs" (note no emacs -Q)
M-x list-packages RET
Navigate to adjust-parens and hit RET
C-x o
TAB
RET, to action the Install button
y
Emacs says: package-compute-transaction: This package requires Emacs 
version 24.3

I select adjust-parens because it has a "Requires" tag.  I can install
it without problems if using the emacs-30 branch.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 66, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2025-03-08 built on tbb-desktop
Repository revision: c82495dea767334c4b4423cf0358c76ca1edc4b4
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201001
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.5 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/tbb/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230919.2146/transient hides 
/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils company-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads geiser-autoloads
git-modes-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
mosey-autoloads mosey mwim-autoloads org-journal-autoloads
package-lint-autoloads php-mode-autoloads poke-line-autoloads
solarized-theme-autoloads transient-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
package browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71985 10019) (symbols 48 8619 0) (strings 32 23968 2010)
  (string-bytes 1 677915) (vectors 16 15074)
  (vector-slots 8 160513 5408) (floats 8 29 3) (intervals 56 398 0)
  (buffers 992 11))