Subject: bug#76802: closed (Re: bug#76871: 31.0.50; package--builtin-versions contains two entries for `emacs`.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2025 00:07:03 +0000

Your bug report

#76871: 31.0.50; Error when installing/activating packages due to emacs-version mismatch

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
76871: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=76871
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#76871: 31.0.50; package--builtin-versions contains two entries for `emacs`.
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>, No Wayman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2025 17:05:55 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 8/3/25 13:00, No Wayman wrote:
>> An (emacs 1 0) snuck into package--builtin-versions recently.
>> Came onto my radar because it's breaking package version checks in the
>> Elpaca package manager.
>> Any chance we can get this regenerated so there is only one entry for
>> `emacs`?
>
> See Bug#76861

I think this is fixed, so I'm closing this.

Please reopen if I've misunderstood.

Subject: 31.0.50; Error when installing/activating packages due to emacs-version mismatch
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2025 08:20:43 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I start emacs with the current master (2dea3a0d34859852d3577), I
get errors like this one when activating, installing, or updating
packages.  Obviously, I'm using emacs 31 so I shouldn't get errors that
a package requires (at least) emacs 27.1.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "This package requires Emacs version 27.1")
  signal(error ("This package requires Emacs version 27.1"))
  error("This package requires Emacs version %s" "27.1")
  package-compute-transaction((#s(package-desc :name ef-themes :version (1 9 0) :summary "Colorful and legible themes" :reqs ((emacs (27 1))) :kind tar :archive "gnu" :dir nil :extras ((:url . "https://github.com/protesilaos/ef-themes") (:keywords "faces" "theme" "accessibility") (:maintainer "Protesilaos Stavrou" . "[email-masked]") (:authors ("Protesilaos Stavrou" . "[email-masked]")) (:commit . "b1333b703805a21ed6414386830cb5d1977475b7")) :signed nil)) ((emacs (27 1))) (#s(package-desc :name ef-themes :version (1 9 0) :summary "Colorful and legible themes" :reqs ((emacs (27 1))) :kind tar :archive "gnu" :dir nil :extras ((:url . "https://github.com/protesilaos/ef-themes") (:keywords "faces" "theme" "accessibility") (:maintainer "Protesilaos Stavrou" . "[email-masked]") (:authors ("Protesilaos Stavrou" . "[email-masked]")) (:commit . "b1333b703805a21ed6414386830cb5d1977475b7")) :signed nil)))
  package-compute-transaction(nil ((ef-themes)))
  package-install(ef-themes)
  use-package-ensure-elpa(ef-themes (t) nil)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "/home/horn/.emacs.d/init.el" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 3531
  load-with-code-conversion("/home/horn/.emacs.d/init.el" "/home/horn/.emacs.d/init.el" t t)
  load("/home/horn/.emacs.d/init" noerror nomessage)
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0xf9a8dcaf7c5fa11>)()
  startup--load-user-init-file(#f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x9d24a89bcab2479>) #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x731968ef8c4219b>) t)
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I think the commit that broke things is 5dd8b7e75259663415523f3ebe by
Stefan Kangas (in Cc).  I've checked out 5dd8b7e75259663415523f3ebe^ and
things are working smoothly again.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.48, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2025-03-07 built on thinkpad-t440p
Repository revision: c116dad608afcf28384651101e8b6c6b7999f56e
Repository branch: HEAD
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --without-native-compilation --with-modules --with-pgtk'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER
WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: mu4e:main

Minor modes in effect:
  breadcrumb-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  diredfl-global-mode: t
  mu4e-search-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-update-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-context-minor-mode: t
  mu4e-modeline-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  corfu-popupinfo-mode: t
  corfu-history-mode: t
  global-corfu-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  global-eldoc-diffstat-mode: t
  switchy-window-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  puni-global-mode: t
  puni-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  overwrite-mode: overwrite-mode-binary

Load-path shadows:
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-modeline hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-modeline
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-context
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-main
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-vars
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-window hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-window
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-view
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-thread hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-thread
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-bookmarks
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-org hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-org
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-lists
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-actions
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-helpers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-helpers
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-search hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-search
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-server hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-server
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-obsolete hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-obsolete
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-update hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-update
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-draft
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-message
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-compose
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-headers
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-query-items hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-query-items
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-notification hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-notification
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contacts hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contacts
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-transient hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-transient
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-icalendar
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mark
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-folders hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-folders
~/Repos/el/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mime-parts hides ~/Repos/el/mu/build/mu4e/mu4e-mime-parts
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/ef-themes-1.9.0/theme-loaddefs hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/theme-loaddefs
/home/horn/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250306.1916/transient hides /home/horn/Repos/el/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort expreg cap-words superword subword face-remap mail-extr
emacsbug lisp-mnt cus-start view help-fns radix-tree tramp-cmds puni
display-fill-column-indicator display-line-numbers tsdh-light-theme
generic yaml-mode fish-mode cargo xref cargo-process rust-utils
rust-mode-treesitter rust-ts-mode rust-mode rust-playpen rust-cargo
rust-common rust-rustfmt rust-compile web-mode disp-table
auctex-autoloads tex-site breadcrumb pulse editorconfig
editorconfig-core editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch
elfeed-show elfeed-search vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view debbugs-browse elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl elfeed-log
elfeed-db elfeed-lib avl-tree url-queue xml-query hl-todo
aggressive-indent rainbow-mode vc-git vc-dir ewoc epa-file trashed
diredfl dired-x eshell esh-cmd generator esh-ext esh-proc esh-opt esh-io
esh-arg esh-module esh-module-loaddefs esh-util mu4e-icalendar
gnus-icalendar icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs mu4e mu4e-org
mu4e-notification notifications mu4e-main smtpmail mu4e-view
mu4e-mime-parts mu4e-headers mu4e-thread mu4e-actions org-capture
org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src sh-script smie executable ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-footnote org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core
ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc
org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-compat org-macs
mu4e-compose mu4e-draft gnus-msg mu4e-search mu4e-lists mu4e-bookmarks
mu4e-mark mu4e-message flow-fill mule-util mu4e-contacts mu4e-update
mu4e-folders mu4e-context mu4e-query-items mu4e-server mu4e-modeline
mu4e-vars mu4e-helpers mu4e-config mu4e-window magit-bookmark bookmark
ido mu4e-obsolete hippie-exp auto-dictionary flyspell ispell tramp-smb
which-key highlight-parentheses restclient advice forge-repos
forge-tablist hl-line forge-topics forge-commands forge-semi
forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab
forge-github ghub-graphql treepy gsexp ghub let-alist forge-forgejo
forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue forge-topic yaml
eieio-custom forge-post markdown-mode noutline outline forge-repo forge
forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite emacsql emacsql-compiler
eieio-base magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode track-changes git-commit log-edit pcvs-util
add-log magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor server magit-mode benchmark
magit-git magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm llama
visual-filename-abbrev rg vc vc-dispatcher rg-info-hack rg-menu
transient rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg wgrep rg-history rg-header
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs grep compile debbugs soap-client
url-http url-auth url-gw nsm warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp
debbugs-compat bug-reference thingatpt kind-icon svg-lib color
corfu-popupinfo corfu-history corfu vertico marginalia icomplete
mb-depth eldoc-diffstat use-package-diminish switchy-window elec-pair
recentf tree-widget edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key bind-key
diminish repeat js imenu cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs tramp-cache time-stamp
tramp-sh tramp trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-message
tramp-compat shell pcomplete format-spec tramp-loaddefs python project
compat comint ansi-osc ring ansi-color toml-ts-mode json-ts-mode rx
c++-ts-mode c-ts-mode java-ts-mode c-ts-common find-func treesit so-long
saveplace savehist smiley gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
gnutls dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message sendmail yank-media puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec
epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util text-property-search
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils range ef-themes cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-core finder-inf cus-edit pp
cus-load wid-edit aggressive-indent-autoloads auto-dictionary-autoloads
avy-zap-autoloads avy-autoloads breadcrumb-autoloads cape-autoloads
cargo-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads corfu-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads debbugs-autoloads diminish-autoloads
diredfl-autoloads eat-autoloads ef-themes-autoloads
eldoc-diffstat-autoloads elfeed-autoloads ement-autoloads
expreg-autoloads fish-mode-autoloads forge-autoloads closql-autoloads
emacsql-autoloads ghub-autoloads highlight-parentheses-autoloads
hl-todo-autoloads kind-icon-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
marginalia-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads mastodon-autoloads
persist-autoloads plz-autoloads puni-autoloads easy-mmode
rainbow-mode-autoloads rcirc-color-autoloads request-autoloads
restclient-autoloads rg-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads
symbol-overlay-autoloads taxy-magit-section-autoloads taxy-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads llama-autoloads tp-autoloads transient-autoloads
trashed-autoloads treepy-autoloads vertico-autoloads
visual-filename-abbrev-autoloads web-mode-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info
with-editor-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads package
browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 764847 147294) (symbols 48 53734 1) (strings 32 243410 6171)
 (string-bytes 1 6262444) (vectors 16 90528) (vector-slots 8 831484 71642)
 (floats 8 621 178) (intervals 56 3725 270) (buffers 992 16))