Subject: bug#76861: 31.0.50; Can't install packages that require older Emacs

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2025 07:29:17 -0300

With a prune init.el that only has these lines (so that it won't mess my 
real
custom-file):

(setq custom-file "~/.emacs.d/test-custom.el")
(when (file-exists-p (expand-file-name custom-file))
   (load custom-file))

Start emacs with "emacs" (note no emacs -Q)
M-x list-packages RET
Navigate to adjust-parens and hit RET
C-x o
TAB
RET, to action the Install button
y
Emacs says: package-compute-transaction: This package requires Emacs 
version 24.3

I select adjust-parens because it has a "Requires" tag.  I can install
it without problems if using the emacs-30 branch.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 66, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
  3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2025-03-08 built on tbb-desktop
Repository revision: c82495dea767334c4b4423cf0358c76ca1edc4b4
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201001
System Description: Ubuntu 22.04.5 LTS

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINERAMA XINPUT2 XPM XRANDR
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: es_AR.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/tbb/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20230919.2146/transient hides 
/home/tbb/code/emacs/emacs/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils company-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads geiser-guile-autoloads geiser-autoloads
git-modes-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
mosey-autoloads mosey mwim-autoloads org-journal-autoloads
package-lint-autoloads php-mode-autoloads poke-line-autoloads
solarized-theme-autoloads transient-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-snippets-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads
package browse-url xdg url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
tty-child-frames emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71985 10019) (symbols 48 8619 0) (strings 32 23968 2010)
  (string-bytes 1 677915) (vectors 16 15074)
  (vector-slots 8 160513 5408) (floats 8 29 3) (intervals 56 398 0)
  (buffers 992 11))