Subject: Re: bug#76852: 30.1; Regression in whitespace-mode causes display issue under terminal

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 09:01:47 +0200

> From: 张海 <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2025 18:53:35 -0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> 1. env -i TERM=$TERM LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 emacs -nw -q shows the issue;
> 2. env -i TERM=$TERM LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 emacs -nw
> -q doesn't show the issue;
> 3. env -i TERM=$TERM LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 emacs -nw -q shows the issue
> again.
> 
> So I believe this is an issue that more precisely happens when
> LC_CTYPE is set to a CJK locale.
> 
> And I tried the tests above under tty (which uses the kerner default
> font) and got the same result. So I'm relatively confident this issue
> is unrelated to my fonts now.

Can you look for a font where the characters U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT and
U+00A4 CURRENCY SIGN have fullwidth glyphs?  I presume some
CJK-specific fonts should be like that, since these characters are
referred to as having "ambiguous width" in the Unicode character
database.  If you can find such a font, please try setting up
gnome-console to use it, and see if the problem then goes away.

Thanks.