Subject: Re: bug#76852: 30.1; Regression in whitespace-mode causes display issue under terminal

From: 张海 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2025 12:43:09 -0800

> I cannot reproduce these problems, but then I don't have access to a
> system with gnome-console.
>
> Can someone please reproduce these display issues and debug them?

Thanks for the reply. I did some further debugging and found out this
issue also disappears on 30.1 if I set my LANG=en_US.UTF-8 , whereas
my current env is LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8 . The same issue still exists if I
set LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 . (I do have all the three locales enabled in my
/etc/locale.gen .) So I suspect this might be a regression in 30.1
(compared to 29.4) about logic handling full/half width characters
under terminal for the whitespace-mode characters (e.g. middle dot)
when LANG is a CJK locale.

I also tried to identify if this issue is related to my font
configuration, but the issue still happened when I prepended `DejaVu
Sans Mono` to my `monospace` font and verified that it became my
terminal font. So I think this issue is less likely related to my
font.