Subject: Re: bug#768: 23.0.60; vc-bzr.el re-reads metadata files in an endless loop

From: Torsten Bronger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 19:45:17 +0200

Hallöchen!

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

> Torsten Bronger <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I think I know what happens: I set (auto-revert-check-vc-info t)
>> which probably means that Emacs re-reads VC metadata every five
>> seconds.  However, it is questionable whether this makes sense
>> for remote files through Tramp.
>
> I think special-casing the action of that variable for tramp files
> sounds non-optimal.  If your files are too slow to be read in that
> way, then you shouldn't switch that on, but Emacs has no way of
> determining that.

But tramp files are special-cased also when it comes to restoring
the desktop after an Emacs start: They are not restored (at least
not by default).  I think it is fair to assume that probing a file
every five seconds through SSH is more critical than probing a local
file.

Moreover, I have dozens of local version-controlled files open but I
open a remote file only seldomly.  Without special-casing, the whole
workflow suffered due to a rare use case.

Tschö,
Torsten.

-- 
Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: [email-masked]
                                  or http://bronger-jmp.appspot.com