Subject: Re: bug#76769: 31.0.50; marking inconsistency between VC-Dir and dired-vc-next-action

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2025 10:49:04 +0800

Hello,

On Tue 01 Apr 2025 at 05:44pm -04, Spencer Baugh:

> So it's already possible to have a directory and its subdirectory in the
> same fileset?  So vc backends already need to support filesets which
> contain both a directory and an entry in that directory?
>
> Isn't this good news?  Because it means we could actually have vc-dir
> allow "filesets which contain a directory and a file in that directory"
> more generally, as in your original proposal on this bug.  Since, after
> all, it seems to already be supported.

Unfortunately we're doing a lot of guessing since we haven't got someone
with lots of svn experience available to comment.  I think you are right
though that the fact this behaviour has long been allowed can make us
feel a bit more confident about making more significant changes.

One thing that we know is still definitely unsupported is marking an
entry that's a non-directory file.  It's only a subdirectory that I
discovered can be marked in some circumstances, at present.

-- 
Sean Whitton