Subject: Re: bug#76769: 31.0.50; marking inconsistency between VC-Dir and dired-vc-next-action

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2025 05:13:03 +0200

Hi!

On 06/03/2025 05:56, Sean Whitton wrote:
>    --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>                             ./
>      *                      src/
>      *  edited              src/emacs.c
>    --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>    Currently vc-dir-deduce-fileset returns ("src/" "src/emacs.c"),
>    it should return just ("src/").

Could you give an example of when this is a problem in practice? If you 
just pass this list to 'git diff' or 'git log', either command would 
behave as if the fileset contained only a directory.

I suppose the list of files in log-edit would be more awkward. Is that all?

Speaking of interface changes, I wonder if marking (or unmarking) a 
directory should select/unselect all of its files instead (those 
displayed in the buffer). But that's a more drastic change.

People mentioned some VCS handling directories special - does there 
exist a specific tracking of directories in commit history in some?