Subject: TUTORIAL: Add suggestion to Palm-Press CONTROL Key

From: Prafulla Giri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2025 10:53:34 +0000

Esteemed maintainers,

After having developed Emacs Pinkies as a novice, and on finding https://mihaiolteanu.me/emacs-palm-press-the-ctrl-keys and switching to the Palm-Pressing technique for the past couple of months, alleviating the issue, I am of the opinion that the tutorial introduction to Emacs ought to warn of the RSI and suggest the preventative measure, and, therefore, submit a patch (attached), accordingly, for your consideration.

Thank you.

From eedcf27bd78819d81d954759d33060229716dc02 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Prafulla Giri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2025 16:23:39 +0545
Subject: [PATCH] * etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL: Add suggestion to Palm-Press the
 CONTROL key.

---
 etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL | 9 +++++++++
 1 file changed, 9 insertions(+)

diff --git a/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL b/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
index c330713c1b3..1c10fe3a7ce 100644
--- a/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
+++ b/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL
@@ -10,6 +10,15 @@ in full each time, we'll use the following abbreviations:
 	  If there is no META or ALT key, instead press and release the
 	  ESC key and then type <chr>.  We write <ESC> for the ESC key.
 
+The C-<chr> key-binding on common contemporary keyboards is rather
+strainsome to pull of, with most touch-typists defaulting to stretch
+their pinkies to press the CONTROL key: a poor choice that invariably
+leads to a Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) dubbed "Emacs Pinky". A
+better choice instead is to use the "Palm-Press" technique: use (the
+outer part of) the palms to press the CONTROL key. While slightly
+awkward at first, it is faster once gotten used-to and will save your
+pinkies in the long run.
+
 Important note: to end the Emacs session, type C-x C-c.  (Two characters.)
 To quit a partially entered command, type C-g.
 To stop the tutorial, type C-x k, then <Return> at the prompt.
-- 
2.46.0